dinsdag 20 november 2007

Q and A with Elizabeth Becka

The first writer for our Q & A is Elizabeth Becka, author of the Evely James (forensic scientist) series.
Q: What makes Evelyn different from other fictional forensic detectives?She's neither a superwoman nor traumatized. She's very ordinary. Unfortunately that can sometimes veer too close to boring so I have to make her do interesting things.

Q: What are your thoughts on the popularity of the forensic detectives these days?I think it's another twist on the mystery story. We love mysteries and are always looking for a new approach. Agatha Christie started the little old innocent looking amateur sleuth. Crime in a growing America started the hardboiled PI line. They're all good, and they all persist, in one way or another, so I think a forensic detective might wane in popularity in years to come but will never go away entirely.

Q: What would a soundtrack to your novels sound like?
Like instrumental film scores, my favorite thing to listen to while I write. Especially one by James Horner. With an occasional Evanescence song. I like tons of music of all different kinds, but these are what I think would express my books.


Q: Has your writing changed much since the first novel?I hope it's improved. Otherwise, not much. I read all sorts of books on writing and then I go to write and forget every word of advice and just take a stab at it. I worry a lot about that.

Q: Do you do a lot of research?
I didn't at first because forensics is my job, so I already knew it, so to speak. But in trying to keep my books interesting beyond the forensics I am doing more and more research. Unknown Means (Feb 08) uses the salt mines under Lake Erie, Takeover (Feb 09) involves the Federal Reserve. One that's with my agent now involved (peripherally) video games. I also utilize any friend or relative or long-lost acquaintance who might know something about the subject in question.

Q: What's next for you and Evelyn?
Unknown Means will be out in February 08. Other than that, she and I have the same daily struggle: to stay intelligent and interesting as we age, and try to make the most of every day we have left.

That makes it sound like I'm 90, which I'm not, I'm 44. But in America that's the same thing.

Q: Which crime writers do you like?
Jeffrey Deaver, Tami Hoag, Tess Gerritsen, Michael Connolly, Jan Burke, Peter Abrahams, Ethan Black.

Q: What does the future of forensic science / law enforcement look like in your opinion?
It's going to get better and better as technology develops. In the same way that television screens and cell phones and MRI scanners will get better. Forensics has been lucky to get all the attention, and therefore funding, it has for the past ten to twenty years.

Q: What question should be asked every writer we interview and what would be your answer to it?
"When you're writing a book do you ever think to yourself, maybe I just can't do this?" I would love to hear other writer's answers to that one. Mine would be: Yes. Every day.

Geen opmerkingen: